Dear AMAZING advocates --
#TheTimeIsNow to use your voice to advocate for #AnnasLaw!!! If you aren't able to be in DC for #EDCNationalLobbyDay, you CAN STILL USE YOUR VOICE to advocate! Here's how: #EDCVirtualLobbyDay!!
YOU ONLY NEED TO DO ONE THING ON MAY 13, 2015:
1. MAKE ONE PHONE CALL to your Congressman/woman’s office on May 13, 2015!
2. FILL OUT ONE ONLINE CONTACT FORM (similar to an email) to your Congressman/woman’s office on May 13, 2015!
To find out WHO your Member of Congress is, please go to: www.house.gov and enter your zip code.
Whether you call or fill out an online form, here is a 'script' for you to use:
If you call an office:
Remember To Talk Slowly To The Staff Member (staffer) Who Answers The Phone…
"Hello, my name is [Say your full name] from [City, State]. I am a constituent of the Congressman/ woman and I am calling today to request your boss’ support of the Anna Westin Act of 2015. [Pause for them to get a pen and paper ready.] Would you possibly be able to communicate this message to the team? [Likely the staffer will say yes, otherwise they may send you to a voicemail- This is all normal :-)] Then you share the following: The Anna Westin Act is a bipartisan bill to be introduced this week by Rep. Ted Deutch and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. The Act covers the 3 T's- Training, Treatment, and Truth in Advertising.
o Training of- Health professionals, School personnel, and the public
o Treatment- Clarity of Parity for Residential Treatment Services
o Truth in Advertisement- FTC study on whether or not there should be regulation over digitally altered (photoshopped) advertisements.
· The bill is designed to have a zero to almost zero CBO score.
· You can contact Rep. Deutch or Rep. Ros-Lehtinen’s offices or the Eating Disorders Coalition Policy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· Thank you so much. You can reach me at [your email address] or send letters to [your physical address.]"
1. If you fill out the online form, please use the script above --feel free to copy/paste ;-)
2. If the staffer asks you any questions that you cannot answer, NO WORRIES!! Just let them know that you will follow up with the EDC and the EDC will get back to them.
After you make your calls or emails, please email Kathleen at: email@example.com or comment on our FB status about this Action Alert to let us and our fellow-advocates know that you participated ...and also please share what participating in this important Action Alert and using your voice meant to you.
Thank you so much for helping make a difference. ~ Our work continues… All of us here at the EDC