Dear EDC Advocates,
With EDC National Fall Lobby Day and the 2nd Annual M.O.M. March fast approaching, we wanted to address the cost of coming to Washington, DC.
We know that it can be expensive to travel to DC and we know that many advocates struggle to come up with funding for their trip to EDC National Lobby Day. We very much empathize with you. Therefore, we want to offer you the encouragement that there are some simple things to do that might help you make your trip to DC possible, as well as the most cost-effective:
- consider making an "EDC National Lobby Day Fund" jar and depositing a set amount (or loose change) every week
- consider swapping out things like a daily coffee/tea purchase for a deposit into your "EDC National Lobby Day Fund" jar
- start asking for donations (monetary, frequent flyer miles, etc.) from family members
- some advocates have made GoFundMe pages to support their trip to EDC National Lobby Day
- connect with friends to share a hotel room
- connect with friends to share hotel-alternatives like a hostel or Air BnB*
- consider car-pooling if you're driving to DC
- start looking for flights today --save your search and get fare updates
- consider staying outside the district of DC and using the Metro to get to Capitol Hill
Those are just a few ways that might help you save for a trip to DC so you can join us for EDC National Lobby Day. If you have other suggestions, please comment on our blog or on our FB page!
Of course, we also know that not everyone has "loose change" to spare --eating disorders can wreak havoc on finances; we know, we've been there. We also know that not everyone can take time off from treatment (whether your own or the treatment of a loved one), time off from work, or time away from family. We simply want to encourage you with this blog post that if you are able to come to EDC National Lobby Day and the M.O.M. March this fall, there are things you can do to help save up for your trip and make your trip a bit more cost-effective.
Because we know the cost of coming to DC, we promise you to always keep registration fees as low as possible --please know that the EDC does not 'turn a profit' on Lobby Day...your registration fee goes to cover the cost of hosting Lobby Day and that's all.
We also promise you that if you cannot attend EDC National Lobby Day in person, we will continue to offer ways to get involved from afar. But to that end, we do highly encourage you to do everything that you can do (that which is wise and healthy for you), so that you can come to Lobby Day. We continue to hear from advocates --whether after their 1st or 20th time advocating with us-- that EDC National Lobby Day is one of "the best experiences" they've ever had. We want YOU to have a chance to have that experience and we hope that you will be able to find a way to join us this October 27 - 28th as we storm Capitol Hill with our voices, stories, united message and our constituency-based influence.
Our voices make a difference, your voice makes a difference and #TheTimeIsNow to pass the #AnnaWestinAct into #AnnasLaw. We hope to see you soon.
Our work together continues, ~the EDC