Monday, August 4, 2014

A Dad Shares About Lobby Day

August 4, 2014
Washington, DC


Artie Fox is a Board Member of +Alliance For Eating Disorder, an +Eating Disorders Coalition advocate and perhaps most importantly, he's a dad.       Artie graciously agreed to share his thoughts about Lobby Day in this guest blog.  Thank you, Artie --your advocacy means the world to us.

A Dad Shares About Lobby Day:


My daughter has struggled with an Eating Disorder for nine years. After going through the misery of suffering and meeting other families going through the same agony, I wanted to make a difference.
I joined the Board of The Alliance for Eating Disorders in Florida, in January, 2013. At one of my first meetings, I was informed about Lobby Day in Washington, D.C.

I attended my first Lobby Day in April 2013 and found it to be an incredible experience. We, as a group, do make a difference. We meet with various congressional  leaders, discussing many issues which include the FREED Act, as well as photo shopping and how it effects families and individuals with Eating Disorders.  A big part of Lobby day is the opportunity to meet with and socialize with others from around the country. Sharing each others experiences and ideas makes Lobby day extra special for me.

My hope is that every state is represented at EDC National Lobby Day and we do effect changes with the way Eating Disorders are perceived and treated, and eliminate the stigma attached to them.



No comments: