Take a Stand Against the K & E Diet!
The Eating Disorders Coalition encourages you to contact The Today Show to express your dismay at their recent coverage of the "K & E Diet", a diet that uses feeding tubes to promote rapid weight loss. By giving the "K & E Diet" such prime airtime The Today Show encouraged risky weight loss strategies. Fad diets and rapid weight loss are potentially dangerous. At least 1 in 4 people who goes on a diet develops eating disordered thoughts and behaviors. Two out of 10 people with anorexia die of the disorder. This is not a laughing matter. The tragic reality is that some people suffering from eating disorders die because they can't get the feeding tube they need in order to survive because insurance companies all too often don't cover life saving eating disorder treatment.
We applaud CNN for their appropriate segment (see link below) on the Nasogastric Tubes this afternoon, so let's thank them for shining light on the dangers of this terrible practice which their Medical Ethicist calls, “stupid”. Let's thank CNN and ask The Today Show to follow suit!
Here's what you can do:
- Contact CNN and THANK THEM for responsibly addressing this issue: http://www.cnn.com/feedback/
- Contact The Today Show and ask that Kathie Lee apologize on-air for calling the dangerous diet trend "genius" (at 5:19 in video -below)
- Contact The Today Show ask them to bring on eating disorder experts to address the dangers of this quick-fix rapid-weight loss diet
- Share with them your personal opinion on why you feel making light of feeding tubes does a serious disservice to those suffering the deadliest of all mental health illnesses, eating disorders and ask MSNBC & The Today Show to feature a segment like CNN -responsibly addressing the dangers of this fad diet.
- Kathie Lee & Hoda FACEBOOK page: https://www.facebook.com/
- Contact MSNBC (click on TODAY in the dropdown) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/
(Here is Kathie Lee and Hoda discussing the diet: see: 5:14 - 6:38 in video):