Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why I Come to the EDC Lobby Day Every Year

...By Eileen Binckley

I suffered from a life-long eating disorder that began at the age of 13 and culminated at the age of 52, when I was finally diagnosed and obtained treatment. That treatment was extensive and at times intense, but I have now been recovered for 12 years. Every day since then I count my blessings that I was able to get the treatment I so desperately needed, knowing all too well that there are so many that have been unable and continue to be unable to do so.


For this reason, I got involved with the EDC and have attended every Lobby Day for seven years. Educating legislators about eating disorders and asking for their support has provided me with a voice in helping to forward the cause of eating disorder legislation. I may be a Lobby Day veteran, but this is one activity that never gets old. Being in the presence of other sufferers and/or their family members for a common cause has been therapeutic and life-confirming. Our patience and persistence over the years has ultimately had positive results, leaving us with a true sense of empowerment.

I urge you to join us this September. You can be empowered too.

2 comments:

Policy Assistant, Kathleen said...

Eileen --your presence is always an inspiration. Thank you for all the work and dedication you offer to the EDC. I am so glad you recovered.
~Kathleen

Unknown said...

I *SO* agree with you, Eileen! Lobby Days - and the EDC - are a wonderful opportunity and inspiring experience!