Monday, May 24, 2010

Advocates are the heart and soul of the EDC!

Advocates are the heart and soul of the EDC! You are making a difference!
A note from The Policy Director, Jeanine Cogan, Ph.D.

Dear friends,

Thanks to over 100 advocates who came from 25 different states, our recent lobby day is proving to be a huge success with additional support for the FREED Act growing every day! So far we have the following 9 new cosponsors on the House side and anticipate more.

Rep Markey, Betsy [CO]
Rep Van Hollen, Chris [MD]
Rep Holt, Rush D. [NJ]
Rep Johnson, Henry C. "Hank," Jr. [GA]
Rep Edwards, Donna F. [MD]
Rep Klein, Ron [FL]
Rep Boucher, Rick [VA]
Rep Polis, Jared [CO]
Rep Schwartz, Allyson Y. [PA]

Advocates came from CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IN, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, ND, NH, NJ, NY, PA, SC, TX, VA, WA, UT. And it paid off as we have new cosponsors for the FREED Act from six of those states - CO, FL, GA, MD, PA and VA.

We hear repeatedly that many Members of Congress sign onto the bill because they were touched by the constituents who visited them. Your voices are making a difference and your stories leave a lasting impression. For those of you who joined us this year or in the past - I thank you! For those who haven't lobbied with us yet - make it a priority to come next time. Not only will you help pass our bill but you also have a really unique opportunity to feel your power!

But enough from me - hear it from Nicole Griswold, an advocate who joined the EDC in April for lobby day.

"An advocate's perspective: by Nicole Griswold

I decided on a whim to join in on Lobby Day. I had been trying to find a way to positively fight back against a disease that has had so much control over me and the three friends I have lost far before I was ready to say goodbye. Lobbying for treatment, education, and research seemed to be just what the doctor ordered.

I learned while I was there that I was going to be fighting for the passing of an actual bill for eating disorders; the first of it's kind. My worries about not knowing how the government system completely works was washed away when I was greeted with open arms and a handful of tools to prepare me for the big lobby day. I was not only moved by sharing my personal story with House Representatives and Senators in order to encourage their co-sponsorship of the bill, but by the fellow lobbyers: individuals plagued by eating disorders, mothers and fathers who lost their child, educators, and clinicians.

My time lobbying continues to resonate in my heart. I am eternally grateful for the safe and encouraging fellowship from the EDC as we all worked together to fight for eating disorder awareness and eradication. I will most certainly be back!"

No comments: