- insurers to offer and renew insurance coverage for all who apply (no more denials for people with pre-existing illnesses);
- prohibit health insurers from canceling coverage;
- specify that premium rates in the individual and small-group market can vary only on the basis of tobacco use, age, family composition, and state-defined geographic rating areas;
- allow adult children to remain on their parents' health policies until they turn 27 if they do not have access to a policy on their own.
- HHS to identify high risk pools and to provide temporary coverage for people who have been denied insurance for preexisting conditions until the ban on insurance denials begins in four years.
Jeanine Cogan, Ph.D., Policy Director
Eating Disorders Coalition